Sunday, May 9, 2010

Eye Candy #395 - "Scooby-Doo"

Scooby-Doo:  I'm a huge Scooby-Doo fan. HUGE.  I love the classic 60's and 70's cartoons. When I first heard about this movie, I thought "hey! this could be fun!" I was wrong. The problem is this film's script embraces the same flaws of the later cartoons - it abandons mysteries with human protagonist (the classic reveals, I'm talking about here: "Golly gee! It's Mr. Withers!")and leaps into the realm of fantasy, with creatures that are really creatures, and an antagonist that, while I despise the character for what it did to the cartoon, is just unbelievable, ridiculous, and dumb. The cast gives it a shot and Lillard makes a great Shaggy. Prinze is micast but Gellar is spot-on, as is Cardinelli as Velma. But the CGI Scooby is seriously lacking and Rowan Atkinson shouldn't wonder why his career is on the decline when he decides to appears in movies like this. This film should have been more "Scooby Doo Where are You?" than "The Adventures of Scooby and Scrappy Doo".

No comments:

Post a Comment