Monday, April 26, 2010

Eye Candy #359 - "Burden of Dreams"

Burden of Dreams:  Having had this documentary built up in my mind for years about how great and wild and insane its subject (Werner Herzog and the making of his film "Fitzcarraldo") were, there is possibly no way it could have lived up to my expectation. Frankly I was expecting more. I mean, there is Herzog, in the middle of the Amazon, with broken equipment, a sinking boat, mud up to his armpits, restless natives, death threats, amoebic dysentery, Klaus Kinski...and when all this happen, you don't even see this guy get just A LITTLE perturbed. He's positively stone-faced. I mean, people are threatening to kill him because of his film...and he's got a look of benign resignation almost the entire time. No meltdown, no anger, no frustration, no blows between he and Kinski, no heart of darkness. He's just the harmless German uncle on the river that lousy things happen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment