Monday, April 26, 2010

Eye Candy #340 - "The Brown Bunny"

The Brown Bunny: I’m one of those rare people that actually like this particular exercise in gratuitous filmmaking. And make no mistake, everything about this is gratuitous – long dialogue-free sections, large swaths of motorcycle racing and van driving, with Vincent Gallo as Bud, a motorcycle road racer traveling cross country between races and the various liaisons he has with women he encounters along the way. Controversial for the graphic sex scene between Gallo and actress Chloe Sevigny, sure, and we can debate if it was indeed prosthetic or not, but I don’t believe that’s the point and that’s not why I care for the film. Its simplicity appeals to me, the mystery of it appeals to me. And this from someone who has an extremely low “self-aggrandizing auteur” threshold - Gallo has miraculously managed to make me wonder why Bud does what he is doing, which is awfully hard to do these days. Is it a great film? Absolutely not. Is it complete trash? No, it’s not that either. But it is definitely not for all tastes. Woodchuck sez, “This MIGHT be worth your while.”

No comments:

Post a Comment